Once your Ecommerce Website is set up, there are a number of different product types to consider before you begin to add products to your shop page. In WooCommerce they include:
- Simple Products
- Grouped Products
- External of Affiliate Products
- Variable Products
Let’s look at how each works and consider which could be used depending on the type of product you’re adding to your website.
(i) Simple Product
(ii) Grouped Products
You might use the ‘grouped product’ option to, for example, make a baking set.
The set will include three simple products, a pie dish, an apron and a rolling pin.
(iii) External / Affiliate Product
The ‘External / Affiliate product’ option can help to eliminate the issue of not having enough of your own products, particularly when first starting out.
Using affiliate products allows you to beef up your eCommerce site with more products.
If you want to promote a third party product on your WooCommerce site –
1. Register for or join their affiliate program so that you will earn commission for each successful referral.
2. Identify the affiliate URL for the product.
3. Get the images for the third party affiliate product.
4. Create a Product Title for this product.
You can just copy and paste the product title and description from the third party site.
Or you can take the time to create original product descriptions.
Note: The product images should be uniform
– make sure to use the exact same dimensions for all of your product images, i.e. both your own products as well as affiliate products.
This will help make your eCommerce site look professional and clear.
(iv) Variable Product
An example of variable products is – a jacket available in navy blue, red or grey.
If you aren’t familiar with creating a product you may want to read WooCommerce – Adding a Product article.